Mr. Bertsch’s primary professional focus is on business and corporate planning, Federal taxation, and estate planning for private clients. His experience includes advising clients on sophisticated taxation issues designed to minimize income and estate taxes, protect assets and preserve wealth. He also has unique experience and expertise with respect to international tax planning concepts for multinational companies and captive insurance arrangements.
Prior to forming Duggan Bertsch, Mr. Bertsch was a partner in a mid-sized Chicago law firm where he used his multi-disciplinary background to service the Firm’s Family Office clientele. He was also a Tax Manager in the International Tax Department of KPMG. During his tenure, he focused primarily on establishing and maintaining foreign sales corporations and export subsidy programs, and advising clients regarding international intellectual property issues.
Mr. Bertsch earned a Bachelor of Sciences in Accounting Degree from Loyola University Chicago and a Juris Doctorate Degree from DePaul University College of Law in Chicago, Illinois. Mr. Bertsch is a Certified Public Accountant and is a member of the Illinois State and Chicago Bar Associations, and the Illinois Certified Public Accountants Society.
Member, Illinois State Bar Association
Member, Chicago Bar Association
Member, Illinois Certified Public Accountants Society
Member, Asset Protection Society
Member, Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
Mr. Bertsch frequently lectures throughout the country on a wide array of subjects including the following:
- Asset Protection Protocol
- Captive insurance companies
- Defining Family Office Structures
- Usage of Virtual Family Office
- Asset Protection and Fraudulent Conveyance
- Advanced Estate Planning Strategies
- Update on Charging Order Legislation
- Foreign Asset Protection Trusts Structures
- Asset Protection Trust Domiciles
- Welfare Benefit Plans and Listed Transaction Issues
- Offshore Tax Compliance
- Integrating Domestic and International Planning
- Estate and Gift Tax – Legislative Update
- Comprehensive Planning for Private Clients