Scott A. Sissel, a partner with Duggan Bertsch, works primarily on sophisticated tax and estate planning matters for business owners, corporate executives, physicians, traders, lawyers, farmers as well as family offices. His experiences range from addressing routine estate planning matters to the most complex estate tax and asset protection considerations, including family limited partnerships, charitable trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, sales to grantor trusts, private annuities, domestic asset protection trusts and other irrevocable trusts, primarily as they relate to equity interests for high net worth individuals and families.
Scott received his Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting from the University of Iowa, Juris Doctorate Degree from the University of Iowa, a Masters in Taxation from Northwestern University and is a Certified Public Accountant. Prior to joining Duggan Bertch, Mr. Sissel spent eight years focusing on multifaceted tax and estate planning matters at a large Chicago law firm as well as a high level boutique firm.
In his spare time, Scott leads the Chicago Iowa Club on behalf of the University of Iowa and its Chicago base of supporters. Please feel free to reach out to Scott at email@example.com or (312)263-8600.
- Co-Author, “Divorce and the Family Business,” Business Entities Magazine, March/April 2007
- “The Next Generation LLC,” Insight Magazine, June 2006
- "The Evolution of the Virtual Family Office" - Leveraging technology as a platform for communication and decision making between all professionals for high net wealth families, presented for U.S. Bank, May 2013
- “Gifting Opportunities in 2012 — Leveraging the 2012 Tax Exemptions Through FLPs, FLLCs and GRATs, and Gifting Other Equity Interests, Life Insurance and Real Estate” presented for Strafford, September 2012
- “Recent Developments Including LP and LLC Valuation Cases, State Tax Decoupling and Asset Protection,” presented for First Midwest Trust, November 2009
- LL.M., Taxation, Northwestern University School of Law, 2004
- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law, 2003
- B.B.A., Accounting, University of Iowa, 2001
- Certified Public Accountant, 2006
- Illinois, 2004
- U.S. Tax Court, 2005
- Iowa, 2010
- American Bar Association – Member
- American Association of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants – Member
- Illinois State Bar Association – Member
- Chicago Bar Association – Vice Chair, YLS Taxation Division, 2005-2007
- Chicago Estate Planning Council – Member
- Chicago Iowa Club (University of Iowa) – President
- Iowa Expat Trust – Treasurer and Chicago Team Leader